Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Recent Accomplishments, or, The Struggle of Naming Artwork

Here are a few of the paintings I've done so far. The first is acrylic, the other two are watercolor. They shall remain unnamed for now because I can't think of anything that doesn't sound like the title of a Hallmark movie. An important thing I've learned this week is how to photograph artwork, which is something I've had trouble with for quite some time. Anyway, I think I've got the hang of it now.



Over the past couple weeks, I've realized that being an artist, especially working free-lance, requires a lot of organization and monotonous record-keeping to keep track of artwork that is sold or sent to a gallery. You also have to worry about having a good price index for selling your work, framing your work, shipping it, finding galleries to show it, and so on.  Many artists have an art related job such as teaching or graphic design and do art on the side to fulfill their creative urges. However, when you're painting as a full-time job, you need to keep in mind what kind of art will sell (subject matter and such) so you don't waste your time making art that won't earn you any profit. That doesn't mean you need to ignore your desires for the sake of making money, but you need to find a niche in the art world. As a person who's not very enthusiastic about money or appealing to other people's tastes, I find this concept a bit difficult to accept. Still, I've made it my business to learn about the business.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Sarah! Your paintings are BEAUTIFUL and I am more than impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete